October 7, 2008

Been a while - Fall 2008

The Farm is now called Hurricane Hills. I think Nola would have liked that. Bull for all intents and purposes, I suspect that everyone will still just call it the Wieland farm. Probate is done. Ed and I now carry the full responsibility for this piece of land and all that is on it. I avoid using the word 'own' because really, it is just conservator-ship. We have done very well, all considered. In spite of the rather abrupt transfer of responsibility, and the sad circumstances, we have indeed shown a successful start. JB and family have done a wonderful job stepping into the active role of caring for the farm on a daily basis. LP and family have been enormously helpful. JN and family have been wonderful. GS and family have been great neighbors. The whole community has been welcoming. I suspect that there are a few getting chuckles out of my stumbling around with the business end of things. But neighborly patients has been shown to us by everyone from the folks at FSA to the insurance agents.

JB got our crops in good time in spite of rather poor weather this spring. Our yields on beans have been much better than we expected. Unfortunately, the commodities market is a sinking ship along with the rest of the US economy. Such mis-handling! I hope I am never seen to be to this farm what I see these idiots in the congress and administration are to this country, simply negligent.

But the land is doing well, the house is lived in and remodeled and looks great. The new furnaces should be in by now, beans are out of the field and corn should be coming out soon. In spite of the challenges, the Farm is doing well. I don't think Nola would be disappointed at all.

No comments:

About Me

This is a blog without a particular reason other than occasionally I need to "thought dump". The second half of the title implies this. The first half refers to a place that I have loved since I recall having memories. The Farm. The place where my father was born, and his father. The Farm has recently come to my brother and me, and has been the seed of many ideas and reflections.