October 3, 2007

Corn

I was running the combine the other day, amazed at the complexity of the machine, and further amazed that I could run it with very little effort. Just a few controls to keep track of. When I first started, the quiet, muffled roar of the machine as heard from within the cab was overwhelming from a sensory perspective. But as I finished my first pass of four rows, I started hearing individual pieces of the symphony of sounds that make up that roar. The sound the engine makes as we pass through a muddy area or up an incline. The slap of cobs being stripped from the stalk.... and a thousand other small sounds.

Makes me wonder if the roar of my busy life mightn't be listened to with a little more of a discerning ear. Maybe I would hear music instead of cacophony.... Someday....

No comments:

About Me

This is a blog without a particular reason other than occasionally I need to "thought dump". The second half of the title implies this. The first half refers to a place that I have loved since I recall having memories. The Farm. The place where my father was born, and his father. The Farm has recently come to my brother and me, and has been the seed of many ideas and reflections.